What's Rei been up to lately...

Thursday, April 2, 2009


Uryaaa! JMC Mangaka from Penang!
No, contrary to popular believes...I'm NOT getting married (yet) and not in the throes of being in love or something (which some said are one of the more popular notions of disappearing momentarily...)

I DID took a break for a while and was up in Penang for an early Qing Ming. The best part is, I get to meet one of the JMC mangaka from Penang!

Penang in many ways can be considered my second "childhood" home as my sister and I used to stay at our grandparent's during the school holidays.

She's a great lass, well articulated with a competitive and genuine "samurai" spirit to match and YES, she's gearing up for the international Kodansha Manga competition as well, so watch out minna! Like all aspiring junior creators, she's passionate, dedicated and constantly looking out for ways to improve her techniques and art.

We shared about our anime/manga interest, our ideas, dreams etc and found out that we shared some quirks in common. At least, I don't know anyone else who actually buys Makoto Shinkai's Voices of the Distant Star MANGA version! >_<

What I really was inspired (and reminded about), is her views about manga as it is. She sees manga as the medium for expressing and bringing together all her interests her in art which includes architecture, story, anime, nature, to a single, unifying platform.

Kinda like what I see in animation...a medium that enables me to marry great character design, great art, good story and cinematography, music, etc.

Its always nice to know that you're not quite so alone in this. ^_^
As far as related news goes, in our upcoming issues of My Manga, we will be featuring the JMC Mangaka winner's as a cover story. So stay tune!
Rei






 
Junior Manga Challenge 2008! - by Templates para novo blogger